Parents play a vital role in teaching children how to be safe road users. As children’s first educators you influence their attitudes and behaviours from the earliest years. Children imitate adult behaviours. It is important that you think about what you are teaching your children by how you act as a road user.
Your behaviour needs to be consistent with what you are expecting from your child.
- Walk across pedestrian crossings or traffic lights (if available) and avoid crossing the street between cars.
- Only ever cross when there is a green walk signal.
- If there is no crossing, choose the safest, clearest and most visible place to cross.
- Always look both ways before crossing the road.
- Concentrate at the kerb before crossing (never be on the phone or talking to an adult).
- Always check for moving cars in driveways.